Saturday, April 10, 2010

Red White and Bluezz Awesome Jazz Bar!


I recently went to Red White and Bluezz for my Jazz History class, and it was so great I thought I'd share a review of it on the blog. Let me start with the awesome, incredibly easy online-reservation system they have going. From their website http://www.redwhitebluezz.com/wine_bar/ (note the snazzy jazz soundtrack) you can place your registration through a service that asks you to make an account, but it's something you'll be grateful for because you'll want to make so many more reservations in the future.

The restaurant itself is dimly lit, with a Grill section and a Jazz Club section. Although the two rooms are connected, you'll want to sit in the Jazz Club to see the live entertainment. And the food, or shall I say, the cheese. Oh my God that cheese was so good. They offer various combinations of cheese platters and wine that they have put together, or you can create your own. I did the latter, selecting an excellent brie, goat cheese, and gruyere. The plate also comes with a very excellent apricot chutney that I couldn't resist slathering onto my cheese-bread creation as well.

The cheese lasted a good two hours while I sat and watched the entertainment. The band playing was the Josh Nelson Trio, and if these evening wasn't already amazing, they made it ten times better. Josh Nelson is a fabulous jazz pianist who is touring with the very famous Natalie Cole, but in between tours he comes back to LA to play with his buddies in various jazz venues around the city. Bassist Hamilton Price and drummer Kevin Kanner were phenomenal as well, working seamlessly with Nelson to create an exciting, modern bebop sound that I thoroughly enjoyed.

I ended the evening with some delicious butterscotch pudding and headed home satisfied. But I can easily say that my craving for more cheese and jazz (the ultimate combination) will return soon enough. I give the place an A+, and encourage all of you to check it out for yourselves!

No comments:

Post a Comment