Monday, April 11, 2011

A Rather Vague Plug for 1642...


My dear friend Ellie Athayde is a highly accomplished bass player (well, everything player really, plus she can sing like nobody's business and she is a competitive horseback rider. She's one of those people that's talented at everything in the most unassuming, laid back, wonderful way. I love this girl.), so when I found out she was going to be playing with her (then nameless) jazz band at a bar in Westlake, I threw on my grungiest flannel and headed on over.
Let me just say that this place is Oh. So. Awesome. Apart from the low, dark ceilings and brick walls that make you feel like you're stepping into a New York jazz club, the people are laid back and friendly, the beer is good, and I'm relatively certain it's 18 and over (Don't hold me to this-I was there with 2 of my best friends who happen to be 19, but they might have gotten in because they're, uh, with the band so to speak).
And the best part?? Really amazing, really unconventional live music (See, it's a music blog. I'd get there eventually)! This place has everything from dixieland jazz to old-time bluegrass, which is a massive plus in my book. It's not often you find a hip, trendy, youth oriented bar that is still featuring songs like "Sweet Georgia Brown." I was in weird, nerdy, heaven. The music was upbeat, everyone was happy, and it really felt like the sort of underground neighborhood bar that only exists in offbeat movies.

Unfortunately, I can't find a website for 1642, since I think it's a relatively new bar, so I don't know when they have live music or who it is (hence the vague part). I'm almost positive they have music every Wednesday though. So if you're in the mood for a whimsical blend of trendy nostalgia, head on over to 1642. Plus, they feature some beer from the Eagle Rock Brewery. And, if you happen to notice a low key happy bass player who occasionally sings and always smiles, tell her that Cara says hey :)

No comments:

Post a Comment