Monday, September 20, 2010

A Bountiful Harvest of Music


Hey Gang! Official nerd-in-residence here, gearing up for for Fall Season, which I would definitely rank among my top four favorite seasons. I've always had a soft spot for the changing seasons, probably for the same reasons that I like themed dress-up parties; I feel part of a tradition, a larger collective... plus I get to decorate my room and go shopping for new clothes. Win-win.

Anyways, in honor of the Autumn Equinox which occurs officially today in Australia (Sept. 22nd for us in the Northern Hemisphere), I thought I'd provide you with some Fun Fall Facts and Autumn-themed music to get you in the mood. So throw on your favorite knit sweater and hop on over to the pumpkin patch to celebrate the season!!

Cara's Top 5 Autumn Music Picks
I realized if I didn't limit myself, this post could go on forever, as I am apt to do. So I've limited it to 5. If you have a favorite autumn themed song, tell us what it is and I'll throw a link up!!!

- "Autumn Almanac"- The Kinks
True Life: I love the kinks. They're quirky, they're catchy, and they look like this. What more do you want???

-"October Road" -James Taylor
I grew up with James Taylor, and to this day this is probably one of all-time favorite songs of his. It reminds me of driving down country roads, right when the leaves are changing color and the whole world is tinged with gold.
* Oddly enough, I couldn't find a youtube video of the song, but I did find a song of James Taylor's called "September Grass." I guess he's just into Autumn...

-"Fields of Gold"- Eva Cassidy
A lot of people know Sting's version of this song, so I decided to share this version instead. Another singer beloved in my family since childhood, Eva Cassidy's heartbreakingly beautiful voice is perfect for this song.

-"September"- Earth, Wind, and Fire
This song makes me want to go to a park and dance around with no shoes on.

- "Autumn"- Vivaldi
Um. Just sayin.

Did You Know?
-The world record for the largest pumpkin ever is held by Chrsty Harp, whose pumpkin weighed a shocking 1725 pounds
-Bobbing for apples is thought to have originated from the roman harvest festival that honors Pamona, the goddess of fruit trees.
- The ancient Celts thought that spirits and ghosts roamed the countryside on Halloween night. They began wearing masks and costumes to avoid being recognized as human.

The Fall equinox occurs when the earth's axis is not tilted either towards or away from the sun. This often marked the beginning of the harvest, and was celebrated in most ancient cultures through festivals and harvest ritual. These celebrations occurred all over the world, from the mid-autumn Moon Festival in China to the Jewish Holiday of Sukkot to our own traditionalThanksgiving holiday. Many of these traditional festivals were both joyous and melancholy in nature: they honored and reveled in the coming harvest, and the plentiful crops produced by the bountiful mother earth, yet they also looked towards to fall of the year, and the bitter coming winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment