Sunday, March 28, 2010

Will I Graduate?!?!


Ladies and Gentleman, spring concert season is upon us and it could not have arrived at a worst time. As a senior writing his comps, I am overwhelmed by the sheer of amount of must-see shows each week and weekend since this semester started. For instance, on Thursday, Friday and Saturday of this week I saw three amazing garage-style lo-fi phenomena events back to back to back! On Thursday I went to a really awesome show at a warehouse art collective on Alameda and 6th Street where I saw the San Francisco quintet, tentatively known as Thee Oh Sees. Jon Dwyer, the lead singer and creative mastermind behind the band, was in rare form as he whooped and howled his way to distorting proportions for at least an hour on end, guitar in hand, under his chin. Tired as I was from the night before, on Saturday I was lucky enough to be awake enough to visit the grungy all ages dingehole known as The Smell, downtown, to see another San Fran band, their namesake and lead singer, Ty Sygall. Before Ty was also Charlie and the Moonhearts, also a San Francisco collective. The show was really loud and I was exhausted from the night before but was determined to complete the sweep of good shows. Which leads me to Saturday night. I was ready to quit that weekend. Ready to settle at home and make a nice cup of tea and diligently work on my senior thesis...when I got a text message, " ARIEL PINK IS SPECIAL GUEST AT THE SMELL TONIGHT!"....Having never seen Ariel Pink (pictured above), one of favorite basement DIY musicians, I was compelled to enter day three of loud music madness. Needless to say, I returned to the Smell for the second night in a row, and my third night of concert going in a row. Elated as I was afterward, I fell to sleep quickly and happily upon the first touch of head to pillow....what a weekend....if things go on like this I will never graduate!

No comments:

Post a Comment